This superpower salad takes the classic Caesar and turns it into a celebration! For a crunch without standard croutons, this recipe uses delicious and protein-packed crispy chickpeas. And this homemade Caesar dressing will blow the store-bought stuff away!
Recipe from the Blue Zones Meal Planner.
- Preheat oven to 400°F/200°C. Rinse the sweet potato. Cut it into small pieces. Lay the pieces flat in one layer in an oven-safe pan.
- Rinse and drain the canned garbanzo beans. Once dry, place them onto a large rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle the oil over the beans. Mix to coat. (For oil-free option, omit the oil.) Sprinkle on cayenne pepper and salt, and mix to coat.
- Roast the beans and sweet potato for 20 minutes at 400F. After 20 minutes, roll the chickpeas around in the baking sheet, and roast for another 15 minutes, until lightly golden. Expect them to firm up as they cool. The sweet potatoes are done when a fork can pierce them.
- Prepare the fresh produce: De-stem the kale and then finely chop the leaves. Wash and dry in a salad spinner or towel. Place into extra large bowl. Finely chop the romaine lettuce. Rinse and then spin or towel dry. Place into bowl along with kale and set aside. Rinse and dice the organic granny smith apple. Rinse and drain the canned cannellini beans. Peel the garlic.
- Prepare the dressing: Blend all the dressing ingredients (canned cannellini beans, 3/4 of the nutritional yeast measurement, white miso paste, tahini, lemon juice, water, apple cider vinegar, salt, onion powder, and garlic) in a high-powered blender and set aside.
- Assemble: Add dressing onto romaine lettuce and mix until fully coated. Now sprinkle on the roasted chickpea croutons and remaining nutritional yeast. Add additional add-ons. Celebrate this delicious, gluten-friendly, plant-based caesar salad!
1 sweet potato
½ cup no-salt canned cannellini beans
1 can no-salt canned garbanzo beans
½ tsp olive oil
1 tsp + 1 pinch cayenne pepper
6 cups kale
9 cups romaine lettuce
1 organic granny smith apple
2 cloves garlic
¼ cup nutritional yeast
1 tbsp white miso paste
¼ cup tahini
½ cup lemon juice
¼ cup water
3 tbsps apple cider vinegar
1 tsp onion powder
Salt & pepper to taste