Author and activist Anna Lappe takes on the billion-dollar business of marketing junk food, soda, and fast food to children and teens. With diet-related related illnesses alarmingly on the rise, pervasive marketing of junk food to kids is downright dangerous. The food industry says its up to parents to raise healthy kids. Lappe agrees, that’s why she says leave parenting to her–and the millions of moms and dads trying to raise healthy kids. Learn about the dubious marketing tactics of the junk food giants and the ways you can fight back to promote kids’ health.
- 1:14 How her daughter’s obsession with one particular person made her realize what was happening.
- 2:20 Can you guess how much money the food industry spends marketing to kids?
- 3:15 There’s even a term for the way they make children more annoying.
- 3:55 Find out just how many thousands of ads kids see if they watch a regular amount of television.
- 4:30 Here’s why just turning off the TV isn’t a solution.
- 4:50 Learn which school supplies are now sponsored by junk food.
- 5:54 Find out how companies like Coca-Cola and Pepsi are straight-up conning school communities to buy their products.
- 6:47 Here’s what she finds most upsetting.
- 8:10 And here’s how they get even more information about kids.
- 9:30 She talks about the life and death consequences that hang in the balance with this issue.
- 10:24 We’re seeing the most depressing innovations in health care now thanks to the food industry.
- 12:00 You’ll never believe where McDonald’s wanted to advertise.